Saturday, July 30, 2016

[Q] 3 years after "One Year Later"

Hi,

I haven't been in here a while. Mostly because I rarely use my 32Gb (2012) N7 anymore; it is simply too painful of an experience. Typically I will pick it up for web browsing, but after the browser or keyboard hangs for tens of seconds for the fifth time in ten minutes, I feel like chucking it against a wall.

Don't tell me I need to free up some space; it has 25 GB of free space in /data

Don't tell me I need f2fs; I'm running CM 12.1 (20151117) / 5.5.1 with /data and /cache formatted as f2fs

Code:

u0_a93@grouper:/ $ mount | grep f2
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC /cache f2fs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,background_gc=on,discard,user_xattr,inline_xattr,acl,inline_data,inline_dentry,active_logs=6 0 0
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA /data f2fs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,background_gc=on,discard,user_xattr,inline_xattr,acl,inline_data,inline_dentry,active_logs=6 0 0

I've filled (to within a few 100 MB) the device and deleted all those files; no real improvement.

So anyway - since I haven't been keeping up, I'm wondering if anyone had been able to shine some more light on what seems to be progressive degradation of eMMC write performance with use (independent of choice of OS, kernel, fs types etc). I suppose this is some sort of wear-leveling/write amplification thing but I can't say for sure.

I really liked this tablet for the first 18 months I owned it; I'm not trolling anyone here. Note that I don't believe this is a situation with faulty hardware (it never crashes or spontaneously reboots - eventually it always comes out of it's hangs (but maybe not for 30-40 seconds). My device has just gotten progressively worse with time, to the point of unbearability.

Have there been any new developments or findings in the last several months?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2apaa7W
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment